Monday, May 5, 2014

Friendly management tools for when students are keyboarding: Music and Online Timers



There are two things my students really like and associate with keyboarding in my classroom. They are:

  1. Music - I play soft music while students are keyboarding. Sometimes I use an online program like Pandora which has a station I like called "Classical for Studying Radio." Of course, you can use any type of music source. Sometimes I will play a CD or MP3s from my computer or phone which I connect to my computer speakers.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  2. Online Timers - I used to use a standard timer which basically made a school bell sound at the end of the typing session (my students type for 15 minutes). I kept the volume at a level where it wasn't jarring, but I still dislike the sound. Now, I use an online meditation timer which provides a much more peaceful solution. Below are some links to timers that do not include images pertaining to Buddhism or meditation practices. Don't get me wrong, I am fond of both. However, as teachers we know how things can be misconstrued.

Online Timers


Timers you can download: