Wednesday, May 7, 2014

An idea for when you need a quick computer lesson!

An important guest came to my school today. A mix-up in the timing of his arrival caused everyone's schedule to quickly change. I found myself having to teach computer class to grades 2 and 3 when I thought I wouldn't be. In cases where I find myself having to teach when I wasn't expecting to, I know I can always create a word processing lesson for any grade. Of course, you can do this type of exercise with any grade by just adding grade appropriate skills to the lesson. Here is what I did today for grades 2 & 3:

2nd Grade students:

  • typed 3 things they learned about the visitor. We brainstormed a title for this document.
  • changed the font size.
  • learned to use the numbering command while listing their 3 facts.
3rd Grade students:

  • typed 5 things they learned about the visitor. Again, we brainstormed a title for this document.
  • changed the font size.
  • used the numbering command.
  • created a header with their name (which they right-aligned).

It was a great way to practice some skills, reflect on what they learned today, and had something interesting to take home and share with their family! .